Guide 2 Reviews
Christian Spotlight’s Guide to Games exists to assist gamers and parents in making wise decisions in their choice of electronic games. Many games contain objectionable material, inappropriate behavior, and/or immoral values. Although some game companies provide a simple rating system, it is not based on a Christian worldview, and oftentimes it is not very accurate.
This INTERACTIVE site provides reviews of all types of games for all platforms (PC, Mac, PlayStation, etc.), PLUS an active forum for gamers to share their opinions. You can participate by writing reviews and sharing your knowledge to help others through our comment system. This site is a nonprofit ministry and is not connected with any game producing companies or advertisers.
Guide 2 writing game reviews
Before you begin writing a review you should make sure that you are familiar with the game that you are reviewing. Go back and play the game for a few minutes just to make sure you are familiar with all of its aspects. I recommend reading other reviews from other sites before posting your own review on G2G. Gamespot and IGN are both great sites for finding the facts about the game you are going to review. All content in the review must be yours unless otherwise cited, and don’t forget to look at other G2G reviews as an example for your own review.
When writing your review please remember that our site is here to review games from a Christian point of view. There are plenty of review websites that talk about graphics, gameplay and plot/storyline. And while you should still review these aspects, your review should focus more on details about the Christian-related content. These details should include information on: violence, language, sexual content, spiritual content, thematic material, and a brief statement explaining the Christian rating you gave the game. At the end of your review you should include a paragraph with your overall take on the game. Your game review should provide enough information about the game for the reader to get a good idea about the game’s content.
Very little to No objectionable content.
Has some objectionable content.
Full of objectionable material. Not recommended by Guide 2 Games.
★ Please note that editors at G2G reserve the right to change the ratings as they see fit.
If at all possible, write your review in a word processor before submitting it to G2G. This is so that you can have a backup copy of your review just in case your submission is lost or corrupted in transmission. Please make sure that you run a spell check before submitting your review! You can either use the spellchecker that is built in to your word processor or you can use spellcheck.net. Although all reviews are spellchecked by the editor, your review stands a much better chance of being posted if it is not full of spelling and grammatical errors.
The G2G editor is very busy, so kindly allow time for a response. Depending upon the workload, it may take up to a few weeks. If and when your review is posted you will receive an e-mail notifying you that it has been posted on G2G.
When writing your review it might be helpful to have a list of issues to look for, feel free to pick and choose from the topics listed below. These should also be listed in your content at a glance section and then again in more detail in your review.
- Adult themes – tasteful references to violence and sexual content- nothing explicit (Content that might be a little too mature for the young ones)
- Alcohol use – The consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Anti-religious themes
- Crude humor – Depictions or dialogue involving vulgar antics, including “bathroom” humor
- Dark Arts – Evil magic or dark arts like in game Diblao or Doom
- Destruction – violence against non-living things ie explosions, crumbling buildings, vehicle-to-vehicle combat.
- Drug use – The consumption or use of illegal drugs
- Extreme profanity – Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity
- Extreme sexual content – Explicit and/or frequent depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including nudity and Depictions of rape or other violent sexual acts
- Extreme violence – Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons and depictions of human injury and death
- Fantasy magic – magical content that may be offensive
- Mild profanity – Mild to moderate use of profanity
- Mild sexual content – References to sex or sexuality
- Mild violence – Violent actions involving cartoon-like situations and characters. May include violence where a character is unharmed after the action has been inflicted
- Nudity – Partial of Full depictions of nudity
- Oppressive atmosphere – dealing with frighting horror, death and the macabre
- Scantily Clad Women – inappropriately dressed women
- Reckless themes or Lawlessness – Breaking the law, or participating in dangerous activities.
- Strong profanity – Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity
- Strong sexual content – Explicit and/or frequent depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including nudity
- Strong violence – Scenes involving aggressive conflict. May contain bloodless dismemberment